PDA

View Full Version : Surnames meaning

james.smith
01-19-2019, 09:09 PM
My surname - Smith - is translated to "somebody working with metal" or "strike" from different languages, so maybe I relate to a family of blacksmiths or miners :)

Back at the times, blacksmiths were in huge need as things such horseshoes had to be made. Swords and other weaponry had to be created and maintained by smithers :)

Metalworking was very widespread occupation back at the dates, so it's clear why Smith is one of the most used Surnamed in USA.

What is the history of your surname?

Newscoakos
01-23-2019, 07:46 AM
My surname - Smith - is translated to "somebody working with metal" or "strike" from different languages, so maybe I relate to a family of blacksmiths or miners :)

Back at the times, blacksmiths were in huge need as things such horseshoes had to be made. Swords and other weaponry had to be created and maintained by smithers :)

Metalworking was very widespread occupation back at the dates, so it's clear why Smith is one of the most used Surnamed in USA.

What is the history of your surname?

Good that you know it. I do not know absolutely anything about my second name. Actually, I never worried about this stuff. However, I know that you can find special sites on the Internet that deal exactly with this question. These sites help thousands!

Swesbrak
01-24-2019, 11:16 AM
My surname is Atman. "Atma" is translated from Latin as a soul. So I am a sincere, kind person. So it really is. This is confirmed by all my friends.

Exhededra
01-26-2019, 10:13 PM
My surname is Vardanyan. Armenian surnames end in "Yan".
My ancestors were Armenians and during the Armenian genocide in 1915 they appeared in the United States. So, my surname translates as rose.

Newscoakos
01-28-2019, 06:15 AM
My ancestors were Armenians and during the Armenian genocide in 1915 they appeared in the United States. So, my surname translates as rose.

Curious. I do not know mine. As I have somewhere heard (or read) some special libraries have got books with the names and their meanings there.

WillowBliki
01-29-2019, 09:12 AM

What is the explanation that designation in Eastern lands often imply “rose”:) I have heard when name is the same with “rose” word in local language. Why it’s so that? Does your nation worship this flower in that height? Or something other?